In line with DFE guidance the College careers programme is based on the Gatsby Benchmarks and recognises that careers education is the responsibility of all relevant staff at One.
1. A stable careers programme
2. Learning from career and labour market information
3. Addressing the needs of each student
4. Linking curriculum learning to careers
5. Encounters with employers and employees
6. Experiences of workplaces
7. Encounters with further and higher education
8. Personal guidance
All staff should be familiar with the careers strategy and action plan available here. The College careers strategy sets out:
• Responsibilities of staff.
• Developing Employer Engagement.
• Parent/Carer involvement.
• Supporting Social Mobility.
• Our commitment to Professional Development.
Careers Leadership Team – responsible for delivering our careers programme at One across the all eight Gatsby Benchmarks. Current team members are available here.
Careers, Work Experience and Industrial Placement team are located in Purple Zone. They are available across the College day to support students and staff.
Gaynor Marsh Careers Education and Guidance Adviser
Hannah Gentile Curriculum Administrator (Work experience)
Susie Elmy-EmmersonCurriculum Administrator (Industrial Placements)
The team can help students:
- Applying to University
- Planning Finance for University
- Job Search
- CV writing
- Mock Interviews and interview skills
- Volunteering opportunities
- Gap Year advice
- Work Experience placements
In addition, the team can help staff:
- Provide subject based resources
- Advise on UCAS reference writing
- Work experience placements (all administration tasks)
- Class visits for specialist careers or work experience advice
- University open day/summer school information
- Employer links
- Introduction to the college Enterprise Advisers
If you need specialist advice or help, do contact the team by email, in person or by phone.
Students can refer themselves for a career interview with our careers adviser by completing the form in the Student Services section on Moodle.
The College has a wide range of careers information sources managed by the LRC team. These are available both online and in paper format. Online resources are accessible to students and staff 24/7 in College and at home via Moodle. Hard copy resources including university prospectuses are kept in the main LRC and are accessible during College opening hours both term time and holidays.
The weekly online careers newsletter link is emailed to staff and students, available on social media and on the College website. The newsletter contains university, apprenticeship, job hunting and local vacancy information.
Full instructions on the College UCAS procedure are on Platform One. Nicola Manning, Teacher of Biology is the College UCAS co-ordinator.