Work at One
For young people across South and East Suffolk and North Essex, ONE Sixth Form College is the first choice destination for Post-16 education. With a fresh approach to learning, we integrate a contemporary, inspirational working environment with first-class teaching, resources and student support. We place positive student experience, excellent staff development and wellbeing for all at the heart of everything we do, and we are continually looking for new talent to join our dynamic team.
“To develop an inclusive and inspirational learning centre that sits in the heart of a collaborative learning community where all talents and achievements are equally valued.”
- Exceptional achievement and excellence for all
- Excellent personal development opportunities for everyone
- Exceptional progression opportunities
We offer a broad and balanced curriculum of both general, academic A Levels and Vocational courses alongside our Supported Learning programmes. We have a wide range of extended opportunities to enrich and extend our students' experience, developing well-rounded young adults with the key skills required for their future careers.
We welcome applications from skilled individuals who share our drive, enthusiasm and commitment. If we have a vacancy which matches your skills, experience and aspirations, we would encourage to you to make an application to join our exceptional team.
If you have any questions about our opportunities please do not hesitate to contact our HR Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jake Robson, Head of Centre
Benefits of Working at One
We are proud to be able to offer our staff the following:
- Competitive salaries – which take into account market rates as well as individual experience and qualifications.
- Pension Scheme – We offer two pension schemes: the Teachers Pensions Scheme for Teaching Staff, and the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) for Support Staff. These excellent schemes include a lump sum payment, annual pension and ill-health provision.
- Generous Annual Leave – Most of our staff work term-time only. However, those who work on full-year contracts benefit from an annual leave entitlement, which is above the statutory amount; this entitlement increases with length of service.
- Development and Recognition
• We are committed to professional learning, CPD opportunities are offered internally and via external providers as well.
• Regular appraisals support performance and provide access to development that is tailored to individual needs and aspirations.
• We hold an annual awards event to celebrate the significant contribution our staff make in supporting the success of the college.
- Family-Friendly Policies
• Occupational maternity, paternity and adoption leave which are higher than the statutory levels.
• Compassionate leave may be granted for emergencies or in the event of a death or serious illness of a close family member.
- Health and Wellbeing
• Our Employee Assistance Programme which includes: telephone counselling, online health portal and a 24 hour helpline offering professional advice on a wide range of issues (including finance, legal, family issues and medical information). This confidential support service can be utilised by our staff and their immediate family members.
• Free access to the on-site fitness suite.
• Weekly wellbeing activities run on site, including Zumba, Circuits and Badminton.
• Our salon, Beauty @ One, provides a range of expert beauty treatments carried out by our Beauty Therapy students.
- Equality and Diversity – We recognise the benefits associated with having a diverse workforce, and pride ourselves on our inclusive culture. We hold an annual Diversity Day to promote and celebrate difference. We also offer quiet and private multi-faith facilities and prayer room.
- Participation – We value the contribution of our staff and believe that their views and ideas are integral to shaping the future of One.
• The college works closely with our recognised Trade Unions – NEU, NASUWT and UNISON.
• Our Leadership Team have an open door policy and a flatter management structure gives all staff closer access to the Executive.
• We hold an annual staff survey in order to capture staff views and benchmark these against the best UK organisations.
We are privileged to have superb accommodation and resources, which are commissioned to the highest specifications.
The college is situated in an excellent location close to the A12 and A14, which is convenient for all transport links. There is on-site parking and the college is very well served by regular, local bus services.
Join our inspirational team!
We have a brilliant community of staff here at One and our staff are committed to ensuring that students have an excellent learning experience during their time at One.
Are you interested in joining our team? Who better to tell you about working at One than our staff members themselves. Take a look at the profiles below to find out more about what it is like to work at One in various roles around the college.
How can I apply to work at One?
Our current opportunities are advertised on the 'vacancies' page of our website. If you wish to apply, fill in the ‘Apply for a Position’ form, and you will be able to download all the application documentation. Completed application forms can be submitted via email to email@example.com or by post to: HR, Suffolk One, Scrivener Drive, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP8 3SU.
Do you accept CV’s?
For our current vacancies, candidates must complete a full application form which is downloadable from our website. This ensures all candidates provide us with the information in the same format, which helps the selection panel compare applications. Using the application form ensures that we are following safer recruitment practices. If we are not currently recruiting for a suitable position, we welcome candidates to send us their CV’s in order we can hold them on file to be contacted when an opportunity arises. CV’s can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
I am experiencing problems downloading the application documentation from the website. What should I do?
Please contact the HR team who will be happy to send you an application pack either via email or post. HR can be contacted via email at email@example.com or by phone (01473) 556600.
Is there any way I can receive updates of future vacancies?
We recommend that you check this website on a regular basis, as it is where we advertise all our external opportunities. You can also receive updates of our vacancies by clicking here to 'follow' us on our new LinkedIn page.
Am I suitable for the role?
Please take the time to review the job description and person specification for the role. This will enable you to have a better understanding of what the job entails, and the essential and desirable criteria that we are looking for in our prospective candidates.
What are the pay grades for support staff posts?
We pay our support staff on the single status salary scales for local government staff. You can find a copy of the scales by clicking here.
What can I expect from the recruitment process?
A panel interview always forms part of our selection process. It is a two-way process and it is as much your chance to see if we are the right fit for you as it is for us, so you will be given the opportunity to ask questions, have a tour of the college and meet some of our students and staff. For teaching posts, a lesson observation always forms part of the recruitment process. For teaching and support roles, we may ask candidates to complete other activities as part of the process, for example undertaking a written task or a delivering a presentation. These activities are designed around the job description for the post, and candidates will usually be advised in advance of the interview day if they will be required to complete such activities.
When will I know whether my interview has been successful?
Candidates will be informed of the outcome of their interview as soon as possible. The selection panel will advise candidates of when they are likely to hear the outcome at the end of the interview.
If I am unsuccessful, can I have feedback?
We recognise that feedback can help candidates better convey their skills and experience in future applications, assist with planning their CPD or refocus their applications. Therefore we are happy to provide feedback to candidates who were interviewed but were unsuccessful. Unfortunately we are unable to offer feedback to candidates who were not shortlisted for interview due to the high number of applications we receive.
Work with our partner colleges
We are part of Suffolk Academies Trust and Eastern Colleges Group and work closely with our partner colleges, the fantastic West Suffolk College and Abbeygate Sixth Form College, both located in Bury St Edmunds.
Gender Pay Gap Report
One Sixth Form College and Suffolk Academies Trust is committed to the principles of equality and diversity for all.
As an inclusive employer, we operate a transparent pay policy which ensures that colleagues are recognised and rewarded fairly for their role and contribution to our team. Going forward we will continue to carefully consider the appointment process for recruitment and promotion, as well as progression opportunities, to ensure consistency and fairness is always applied, enabling us to appoint the best qualified candidate irrespective of their gender.