Information relating to Suffolk County Council's funded school travel policy:
SCC will provide Post-16 travel to those students who are attending their nearest school sixth form or Post-16 centre, irrespective of the county boundary, and:
• are full-time learners aged 16-18, or aged 19 and over and continuing to attend the same course started before they were 19; or relevant adult learners with Education, Health and Care Plans aged 19-25
• are undertaking an approved full-time course of further education study
• are normally resident in Suffolk
• live at least three miles away from either their nearest school sixth form or Post-16 centre
For students wishing to study more specialist subjects or courses which are not available at their nearest school sixth form or nearest Post-16 centre, applications will be considered on an individual exceptional basis. Applications will be offered only to the nearest centre offering this programme where this is needed to enable the student to progress. The policy does not apply to young people who are planning to take part in a traineeship, an apprenticeship or a supported internship. The cost of travel for 2020/2021 for post 16 students will be £840 for mainstream students and £720 for a student with special educational needs.
Special Educational Needs (SEN) and Disabilities and mobility difficulties (including temporary medical conditions)
• Children are entitled to SCC funded school travel however far they live from their school if they cannot reasonably be expected to walk to school or their education setting, accompanied as necessary, because of their SEN, a disability or mobility problem.
• The entitlement for children with special educational needs and disabilities or mobility difficulties is assessed against the statutory School Travel Policy except where a child’s Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) expressly states that travel should be provided.
Getting to One
Suffolk County Council Passenger Transport has developed a timetable of dedicated public transport for One students which will provide easy access for students from a wide radius. Please refer to the following website for further details - www.suffolkonboard.com
- For the Felixstowe and Trimley route please click here
- For the Stowmarket route please click here
- For the Stowupland, Stonham and Claydon route please click here
More information one the One Bus can be found here.
One Bus Applications and Payment
The One Bus Scheme adopts the principles of Suffolk County Council's 'Post 16 Discretionary Scheme; involving a termly payment of £240 for the 2020/21 Academic Year. Whilst payment will not be required until our Enrolment Day on the 20th August 2020, the number of places on each bus may be subject to availability. Applications are therefore treated on a first come first served basis, so please ensure you apply as early as possible using our online application form by following the link below:
TO APPLY FOR THE ONE BUS USING THE ONLINE FORM PLEASE CLICK HERE.
The new travel card scheme was introduced by Suffolk County Council (SCC) in Autumn 2014.
About the card
- It is for young people 16-19 in full-time learning or work with training (e.g. apprenticeships)
- 25% discount with most bus services in Suffolk (e.g. Ipswich Buses, First Buses)
- The card is free and will include your date of birth and a photograph of you
- You can register by following the link https://endeavour.suffolkonboard.com/
- Cashless card that can be topped up electronically via SCC's website. For further details visit the Suffolkonboard website.
Park and Ride
Ipswich Park and Ride service is a commercial service provided by First. If you are under 19 park at Martlesham Park and Ride and you can travel across town to One for £2 a day (before noon or £1.50 after noon) or you can buy a 10 day ticket in advance on your phone via First's app or website for £17.50 and activate a ticket when you want to use it.
This gives you unlimited travel on park and ride buses for the day so if you want to pop into town at lunch time on the Park and Ride bus you can at no additional charge. An annual pass for a young person under 19 is £320.
Check when your bus will arrive in real time with the free First Bus app.
More information can he found here.
Need to travel in from further afield by bus?
First also offer a range of tickets if you are travelling from further afield for three terms (Trio) or one term at a time (Solo). Buy your tickets on line and these can range from £305 for unlimited travel in the Ipswich area for three terms to £445 if you are coming from Aldeburgh. More information on the range of tickets available can be found here.
Rail travel linked into the local Park & Ride shuttle bus service, which runs every 10 minutes, provides an excellent means of travel.
Greater Anglia is pleased to offer students a special discounted rate on season tickets purchased for travel to college by train. Please visit this link for further information and to purchase a season ticket: https://railplus.greateranglia.co.uk/
Firstly, you will need to get yourself a student railcard. These can be obtained from any staffed station ticket office or online using the following link: https://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/
Once you have your railcard, you’ll be able to apply for one of the Greater Anglia student discounts:
Academic Year Seasons
Apply online at: https://railplus.greateranglia.co.uk/
If you are arriving to Ipswich by train, you can use the Park & Ride 800 service to get directly to One or Ipswich Buses number 13.
Please note updated details below.
Secure facilities are available at the centre to enable students to park cycles. To further support cycling the centre provides lockers and shower facilities for students who travel by bicycle.
Motorcycle / Scooter
Scooters are a popular form of transport for students travelling to the centre, and we provide parking spaces for both motorcycles and scooters within the car parking area.
Students who live within a 3 mile radius of the centre are encouraged to walk to the centre in order to help promote personal fitness and health living.
Assistance with travel costs may be available through Suffolk County Council’s Post 16 Discretionary Travel scheme; further details and application forms are available on the Suffolk County Council website, www.suffolkonboard.com
Students who may require financial support can apply to the 16-19 Bursary successful applicants can offset their funding award towards this cost. For further funding information please click on here.
Key Sources of Information
www.suffolkonboard.com transport/discretionary travel post 16 students
If you have a query about getting to One please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org