Diploma Level 3 - Sport Extended Certificate
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INVOLVE?
Equivalent to one A Level, the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Sport and Exercise Science is an exciting and challenging course that prepares you for progression to higher education or employment, possibly in the Sport and Exercise Science sector. In particular, it should be considered by students wishing to pursue Physiotherapy at Undergraduate level, or by those who wish to apply to the most prestigious institutions for Sport and Exercise Science, such as Bath and Loughborough.
Varied and complex, the qualification provides understanding of the technical and professional issues relevant to the Sports Science sector, such as in-depth analysis of the anatomical systems of the body and how these function during sport and exercise; the psychology behind elite level performance in sport and exercise, as well as the psychological principles which can encourage behaviour change and maintenance of a healthy lifestyle amongst the broader population. You will also gain experience of how to develop performance through coaching and application of specialised fitness testing.
In particular, amongst other content, you will consider the following in detail:
- Anatomy and Physiology: in which you will explore core body systems essential to sport performance, including the skeletal, muscular, cardiovascular and respiratory systems.
- Sport Psychology, where you will examine the theories relating to how personality, arousal, aggression, motivation and attribution can be seen in action during sport.
- Coaching for Sports Performance, will entail developing knowledge of drills and practices, evaluating the effectiveness, suitability and practicality of these practices as well as gaining valuable, first-hand experience of coaching and focussing on becoming a reflective practitioner.
- Specialised Fitness Training, where you will examine the fitness requirement of sport, and investigate training methods and fitness programming techniques to enhance physical performance.
WHAT DO I NEED TO JOIN THE COURSE?
Grade 4 in GCSE English Language; Mathematics; at least one science; ideally biology and a PE (if taken). If a BTEC Level 2 qualification has been undertaken, then a merit overall is required.
Whilst the course doesn’t require regular participation in sport and exercise, due to the applied nature of its scientific content covered, it is beneficial for students to be able to demonstrate a keen interest in sport and/or exercise.
CAN I TAKE ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS?
Yes. This qualification is usually taken alongside other Level 3 qualifications, such as A Levels.
Although students select this course from a broad range of subject areas, complementary subjects include, Applied Science; Biology; Business; Chemistry; Maths; Psychology; and Sociology.
There may also be the opportunity to take additional qualifications in Level 2 in Fitness Instruction; F.A. Level 1 Football Coaching; or Level 1 Basketball Table Officiating.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
58% of the course is assessed externally, through a mixture of an examination and a set task, completed under supervised conditions. The rest of the course is assessed internally, through the completion of on-going coursework units.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
All students on Sports courses at ONE are expected to purchase a College Polo T shirt, which costs approximately £23. Further details can be found on the Web Shop.
WHAT IS THE DURATION?
This is a two year course.
WHAT IS THE UCAS POINTS TARIFF FOR THIS COURSE?
BTEC Extended Cetificate
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Course Type Diploma Level 3
- Duration 2 Years
- Awarding Body EdExcel