Diploma Level 3 - Sport Extended Diploma
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INVOLVE?
The Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Sport is designed for students who are passionate about sport, and are enthusiastic to pursue a career in the sport or leisure industries. You will have many opportunities to develop your skills in a range of sports-related disciplines, including as a sports performer; an official; carrying out fitness testing procedures; the design and development of training programs; and the analysis of local sports provision.
As a course that provides experience across the breadth of skills required to pursue a career or further study in sport, you will consider the techniques, rules and tactics of selected sports, through active participation as an individual or in teams. As well as this, as the course is set in a work-related context, you will prepare for, undertake, and reflect upon a work experience placement in the sports or leisure industry. Also, highly technical, the course considers numerous theoretical elements of Sport and Exercise Science, including:
- Anatomy and Physiology: in which you will explore core body systems essential to sport performance, including the skeletal, muscular, cardiovascular and respiratory systems
- Fitness training and programming for health: where you will consider fitness training and programming methods to improve a client’s health and wellbeing
- Professional development in the sports industry: which develops the skills required for different career pathways in sports, including practical interview activities
- Sports leadership: which considers what makes good leadership and the skills or techniques necessary when leading activities in different roles
- Investigating business in sport: where you will discuss how business operates in the active leisure industry, including how it responds to trends and the needs of clients.
WHAT DO I NEED TO JOIN THE COURSE?
5 GCSEs Grade 9-4, including a Grade 4 in GCSE English Language; Mathematics; at least one Science (preferably Biology); and PE (if taken). If you have studied a BTEC First in Sport you will need to achieve a Merit and a minimum of a Level 2 Pass in externally assessed units.
CAN I TAKE ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS?
If you achieve high grades (grade 6 or above) in the majority of your GCSEs you may be able to study an A level subject alongside your BTEC Sport course. This is especially important for those aspiring to read for an undergraduate degree in Physiotherapy. Complementary subjects include, Applied Science; Biology; Business; Chemistry; Maths; Psychology; and Sociology.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
42% of the course is assessed externally, through an examination and three set tasks, completed under supervised conditions. The rest of the course is assessed internally, through the completion of on-going coursework units.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
All students on Sports courses at ONE are expected to purchase a College Polo T shirt, which costs approximately £23. However, it is recommended that students on the L3 Diploma course purchase our full kit, which is suitable for all-weather conditions. Further details can be found on the Web Shop.
WHAT IS THE DURATION?
This is a two year course.
WHAT IS THE UCAS POINTS TARIFF FOR THIS COURSE?
BTEC Extended Diploma
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Course Type Diploma Level 3
- Duration 2 Years
- Awarding Body Pearson