Diploma Level 3 - Information Technology Extended Diploma
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INVOLVE?
This specialist programme in ICT will be delivered 3 days per week at One with work placements and projects undertaken with local businesses. You will study a range of different units over the two year course.
Some of the things you might do on the course include:
- Develop an understanding of computer systems, their internal components and how they affect performance
- Assess human computer interaction and the impact on society, the economy, and culture
- Develop data modelling techniques and create your own models for the capture and management of data, ready for business use.
- Design and create 2D and 3D graphics, making use of industry level software within a professional workflow context.
- Learn how to program using an Object Oriented approach and how it can be applied to software and games development
- Learn about the potential threats to ICT systems and security and learn how to keep systems and data secure
- Design and prototype micro controlled Inter of Things systems to solve real life problems.
There is enhanced opportunities for this programme of study to prepare you for appropriate employment within the vocational sector, as well as offering opportunities for those of you who have decided that you clearly wish to enter a specialist area of work.
WHAT DO I NEED TO JOIN THE COURSE?
5 x GCSE 9-4. English grade 4. Maths grade 5 desirable but Grade 4 will be considered on the basis of the overall relevant grade profile.
New student: if both GCSE English and Maths are 5 or greater, but student has achieved less than 5 GCSEs 9-4 in total, they will be considered for this course at the discretion of subject staff.
L2 Progression student: if L2 achievement is MM or better AND the progression student has achieved 4 or more in their GCSE English or Maths resits.
CAN I TAKE ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS?
This course is equivalent of 3 A Levels and it does not need to be supplemented by other qualifications. However, it is possible to do an additional course from our range of A Levels and BTEC Certificates. You can discuss the suitable combinations at interview.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
The BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Information Technology combines units and practical experiences. Students will be taught in a group by completing projects and assignments. All topics are formally assessed and graded as Pass, Merit or Distinction, with an overall grade for the qualification awarded. The assessment will take the form of 13 units which is assessed through a combination of externally marked exams.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
There are no charges to study on any of our courses. However, you will be expected to fund travel to and from any educational visits.
WHAT IS THE DURATION?
This is a two year course.
WHAT IS THE UCAS POINTS TARIFF FOR THIS COURSE?
BTEC Extended Diploma
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Course Type Diploma Level 3
- Duration 2 Years
- Awarding Body Pearson