Diploma Level 3 - Health and Social Care Extended Certificate
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INVOLVE?
Equivalent to one A Level, the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate explores a broad selection of health-related topics, as an introduction to the many career opportunities in the Health, Social or Early Years’ services.
Designed to be taken alongside a number of other Level 3 qualifications, including A Levels, the course supports your progression to higher education or employment.
However, as the course develops the knowledge, skills and qualities that are necessary for professional practice in the Health or Social Care sector, you should have a real passion to help people in one of these fields.
Divided into the following four units, taken over two years, the course will develop the skills needed to work in the Health and Social Care sector:
- Human lifespan development: where you investigate the physical, intellectual, emotional and social development across the human lifespan
- Working in Health and Social Care: explores what it is like to work in the Health and Social Care sector, including the roles and responsibilities of workers and organisations
- Meeting individual care and support needs: in which you will examine the values and principles of providing good care, considering the methods used by different care professionals
- Physiological disorders and their care: where you will learn about a range of physiological disorders, their diagnosis and the development of relevant treatment plans.
WHAT DO I NEED TO JOIN THE COURSE?
6 GCSE’s grade 9-4, including Grade 4 in GCSE English Language.
CAN I TAKE ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS?
Yes. This qualification is usually taken alongside other Level 3 qualifications, such as A Levels. Although students select this course from a broad range of subject areas, complementary subjects include, Applied Science; Biology; Chemistry; Psychology; Sociology and Sport.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
58% of the course is assessed externally, through two written examinations. The rest of the course is assessed internally, through the completion of on-going coursework units.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
There are no costs associated with this course; however non-compulsory trips run as part of the course, which may incur a small cost.
WHAT IS THE DURATION?
This is a two year course.
WHAT IS THE UCAS POINTS TARIFF FOR THIS COURSE?
BTEC Extended Cetificate
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Course Type Diploma Level 3
- Duration 2 Years
- Awarding Body Pearson