A Level - French
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INVOLVE?
A Level French will not only open your mind to the French language but will give you the opportunity to explore fascinating aspects of French lifestyle and culture. The emphasis of study at A Level is on learning how the language works, grammatical structure and expressing opinions on a variety of topics. Students will have regular opportunities to develop confidence and competence in the key exam skills through a variety of up to date authentic sources and materials (audio, video, printed, on-line), teaching strategies and topic areas. You will have the opportunity to participate in a residential visit to France which will enable you to experience the language first hand in an authentic setting.
Throughout the A level course students will:
- develop knowledge and understanding of aspects of French society, culture and history of the country or countries where French is spoken, studying themes from each of the following areas:
- Aspects of French-speaking society: current trends (changing nature of the family, the “cyber-society”, the place of voluntary work)
- Aspects of French-speaking society: current issues (features of a diverse society, life for the marginalised, how criminals are treated
- Artistic culture in the French-speaking society (cultural heritage, contemporary francophone music, cinema)
- Aspects of political life in the French-speaking world (teenagers, the right to vote and political commitment, demonstrations, strikes – who holds the power?, politics and immigration
- study a film in year one (La Haine)
- continue investigation of the film studied in year one and study of literary work (No et Moi) in year two (A level)
- develop independent research skills on a topic of personal interest
WHAT DO I NEED TO JOIN THE COURSE?
Grade 6 in GCSE French.
CAN I TAKE ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS?
If you choose to study French, you will usually take it alongside two other A levels.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
- Listening, Reading and Translation - 50% of A Level
- Writing - 20% of A Level
- Speaking - 30% of A Level
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
There are no charges to study on any of our courses. However, should students wish to take part in any visits abroad, then payment towards trip costs will be required.
WHAT IS THE DURATION?
This is a two year course.
WHAT IS THE UCAS POINTS TARIFF FOR THIS COURSE?
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Course Type A Level
- Duration 2 Years
- Awarding Body AQA