Diploma Level 3 - Engineering Extended Diploma
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INVOLVE?
Enter a world of innovation and technological advancement in Engineering!
This latest specification includes a broad range of subjects encompassing the cutting edge of almost every industry.
The wide variety of mental and physical tools that you will acquire on the course provides an excellent skill-set that will equip learners with different strengths and abilities to progress to one of 3 routes:
- Full time Higher Education studies at University/college towards Degree qualifications.
- Full time employment as the course outcome is a formal Level 3 qualification.
- Work-study combinations (earn as you learn) such as Apprenticeships (Higher National Certificate – HNC or Higher National Diploma – HND) or Management Training Schemes.
You will benefit from the diverse vocational experience of the Engineering team who have all worked in different industries including Automotive, Mechanical, Electrical, Nuclear and Construction prior to teaching.
Some of the subjects that you will learn about are: Engineering Product Design; Microcontroller Systems (Incorporating Robotics and Programming); Computer Aided Design (CAD); Fluid Power Systems (Pneumatics and Hydraulics); Static and Dynamic Mechanical Principles; Electricity and Electronic Principles; Engineering Materials, Manufacturing Processes and Maintenance of Mechanical Systems.
There is a mix of theory and practical elements, and you do not need any previous experience or knowledge of the specialist subjects as we teach them from first principles.
WHAT DO I NEED TO JOIN THE COURSE?
5 GCSEs grades 9-4 to include Mathematics grade 6 (due to the high mathematical content of the subject) and English Language grade 4.
Students that already have a level 2 Engineering qualification who wish to progress onto level 3 must meet at least one of the following three conditions:
- Students meeting entry requirements for Level 3, except Maths, can progress if they achieve grade 6 in resit
- Students with grade 5 in Maths who achieve distinction on Level 2 course, can progress onto Level 3
- Students with grade 4 in Maths who achieve distinction also need staff endorsement to progress.
CAN I TAKE ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS?
This course is the equivalent of 3 A Levels and it does not have to be supplemented by other qualifications. You may want to consider combining this course with AS Maths and the EPQ to gain a Technical Baccalaureate (Tech Bacc), which is a highly regarded additional qualification favoured by employers. For further information on this pathway, please ask at interview.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
The various assessment methods include internally assessed units (each of which is usually divided into three assignments), externally marked exams (three, spread over two years), practical ability, a portfolio-based unit and presentations, all of which provide an excellent skill-set for all learners.
All topics are graded as Pass, Merit or Distinction, with an overall grade for the qualification awarded.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
There is no cost for enrolling on the course, but you will be required to contribute each year towards trips, materials costs, and administration for work experience etc. Also, there is a refundable deposit for resources.
The costs incurred are:
- Resource deposit £40 (refundable at the end of the course if all resources borrowed are returned intact).
- Materials/consumables/trips contribution: £25
- Work experience will require mandatory health and safety checks, these costs will be confirmed at Enrolment
Each student should also purchase their own overalls and safety boots (steel toe cap), either from the One Website or from their own supplier.
WHAT IS THE DURATION?
This is a two year course.
WHAT IS THE UCAS POINTS TARIFF FOR THIS COURSE?
BTEC Extended Diploma
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Course Type Diploma Level 3
- Duration 2 Years
- Awarding Body Pearson