A Level - Economics
Please Note: This course is in very high demand but we are still accepting applications for a range of other courses. Please come in and speak to us at Enrolment if you wish to apply for this course.
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INVOLVE?
Economics aims to give students an insight into key issues in our society, issues that affect us daily. Our hope is that by the end of the two years you will understand the forces that control such things as the price of oil, interest rates and the level of unemployment in our economy. We will study topics such as:
- Government debt – how does a Government have a debt, who is it to and how can they pay it off?
- Unemployment: what factors cause this and what different types of unemployment there are? How does high unemployment in a town bring down property prices?
- Interest rates: why do they change, who controls them and how do they affect our purchasing power?
- Prices: why do they always seem to rise?
- Business: why and how do firms compete?
WHAT DO I NEED TO JOIN THE COURSE?
Grade 4 in GCSE English, grade 5 in Mathematics and a grade 5 in one other predominantly written based subject such as History, Geography or Sociology.
CAN I TAKE ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS?
If you choose to study Economics, you will usually take it alongside two other A levels.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
100% examination – no coursework. You will sit two exams at the end of the second year.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
There are no charges to study this course. However there may be some costs for trips and wider reading materials.
WHAT IS THE DURATION?
This is a two year course.
WHAT IS THE UCAS POINTS TARIFF FOR THIS COURSE?
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Course Type A Level
- Duration 2 Years
- Awarding Body EdExcel