Diploma Level 3 - Art and Design Extended Diploma
Our online Art Exhibition 2020:
Art & Design Google Site: https://sites.google.com/a/suffolkone.ac.uk/art-design-one/home
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INVOLVE?
Art & Design is a fascinating, exciting and rewarding way of earning a living, and modern society cannot function without it. This course will involve drawing, historical studies, exploring materials, developing ideas and concepts and visual communication.
We cover all aspects of Art & Design:
• Drawing & Painting, Ceramics, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, Textiles
• Visits to national art galleries form part of the curriculum and students will benefit from the opportunity to travel to a European Capital in the second year.
• Other trips will include: Ipswich, Cambridge, Colchester, London and Felixstowe
• Live projects and links with local artists/designers and galleries will enhance the learning experience. A variety of practising professional artists and designers deliver aspects of the curriculum.
The course is entirely project based, with each project lasting between 6 and 9 weeks. In the past year 12 projects have included
• Object – still life drawing, painting and photography leading to printmaking and sculpture
• Figure – figurative drawing leading to photomontage, sculpture, textiles and ceramics
• Structure – drawing and photographing on-location, leading to graphic design and mixed-media
• LAND/SEA - drawing and photographing on-location, leading to a large abstract painting/assemblage
• 2 x Externally Set Assignments
In year 13 the projects will become more open-ended as you develop the confidence to work more independently and you identify your particular areas of interest and excellence:
• Portfolio – Preparing and presenting a high standard portfolio of work ready for university interview, apprenticeship or employment
• Surface – Digital design and application for Textiles & printmaking
• Perspective – Contemporary Fine Art practice
• 2 x Externally Set Assignments
This course is the ideal route into a wide range of design-related degrees or Foundation degrees at university or Art College in subjects such as: Fashion and Textiles; Graphic Design; Fine Art; Illustration; New Media or Photography. Students who wish to enter employment directly, could work in a design-related industry, such as Fashion, Graphic Design or 3D Design.
WHAT DO I NEED TO JOIN THE COURSE?
5 GCSEs at 4 or above, preferably including GCSE Art or Photography at grade 4 or above; or its equivalent vocational qualification at Merit or Distinction. You will need to bring a broad selection of artwork and sketchbooks to interview.
*We do consider students who have not studied Art at GCSE if they provide a strong personal portfolio of work at interview/enrolment.
CAN I TAKE ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS?
This course is equivalent of 3 A Levels and it does not need to be supplemented by other qualifications.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
Throughout the two-year programme, students will complete a range of projects and assignments which will be assessed via portfolios of work. An overall grade is awarded at the end of the course following the assessment of externally assessed assignments; two will be taken in Year 12 and a further two in Year 13.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
There are no charges to study on any of our courses. However you will be asked to contribute to the cost of resources and colour printing.
Art packs to provide sufficient sketchbooks, canvases and MDF boards for the year will be available at cost price, two different packs are available priced at £15 or £22.
Students should budget for trips to galleries and museums in order to gain maximum benefit from this course. These will take place once or twice a term and we aim to keep costs below £15 for each trip.
WHAT IS THE DURATION?
WHAT IS THE UCAS POINTS TARIFF FOR THIS COURSE?
BTEC Extended Diploma
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Course Type Diploma Level 3
- Duration 2 Years
- Awarding Body Pearson